The family room is the room of the house that you want to be an inviting place where the whole family feels comfortable and secure. One way to do that is by getting everyone’s input on how it should be decorated. But with numerous different people and different ideas, asking everyone’s opinion may seem like a very daunting task. It doesn’t have to be, though. Here is how to decorate the family room so the whole family is happy with it.
How to Make Your Family Room a True Family Made Room
- Let the kids have input. Don’t turn down everything they say. If they suggest a shag carpet, get them a small shag rug and place it in their favorite area of the living space. Remember, the goal is to make the room an inviting space for the whole family.
- Use fabrics that clean easily. Leather, microfiber, and acrylics are all great fabrics to use in a family room where the kids are going to be possibly, definitely spilling things.
- Use your space appropriately. Divide it up with furniture if it’s a large space. Keep clutter hidden behind cabinets or inside of ottomans. If you’re going to allow toys in the family room, then find easy ways to store and hide these items when they are not in use.
- Functional seating is important in a family room. When it’s just you and your family you might not need a whole lot of seating. But an ottoman is great in that can be used for kicking back or as a table when you have company over. That way no one has to sit on the floor or stand and there’s a space for everyone to sit.
- Don’t be afraid of patterns and using them to make a cozy space for the whole family to enjoy.
- Don’t forget about window treatments. A sheer curtain in the family room allows light into the space, making it bright and comfortable.
- Play to your family’s interests. If you’re an outdoorsy family, then use colors from the outdoors. If you are interested in boating, then do a nautical theme. Bringing the things the family loves to do together into the family room will make it the favorite room of the house for everyone to hang out in. If your family loves the beach, then bring in blues and corals into the room with pictures of beach sunsets covering the walls.
When decorating your family room with your whole family in mind you want to remember comfort and functionality first. Creating a space that is comfortable for everyone to be in while also working to your family’s needs is what the family room is all about. A family who doesn’t entertain a lot might not care too much about having extra seating, but might want the family room to reflect the family’s interest. So figure out what works best for your family and sit down and talk to everyone about what they would like to see in this space. Then come up with a plan that works with all of these ideas.
What is your ideal family room décor?